Strawberry Picking Advice
At Candella’s Farm & Greenhouses on River Road in Marcy, we want strawberry picking to be fun and educational! Here are some tips on what to look for when doing U-Pick Berries
- Look for firm berries with uniform color, free of bruises or bleeding juices.
- Berries are a fragile fruit, so plan to eat them as soon as possible after purchase. If you must keep them for a day or two, discard any damaged berries and leave the rest on the kitchen counter. Storing them in the refrigerator can reduce their sugars.
- If storing strawberries for longer than a couple days, put them in the refrigerator on a dry paper towel in a plastic container or gently covered in plastic wrap.
- After strawberry picking wait to rinse berries until just before eating them as water can cause them to break down more quickly.
- Strawberry picking is an easy, fun way to get outside and make sure that what you eat is of the best quality. Several local farms offer a U-Pick service in which a customer is given a basket and allowed to roam the fields, searching for the most perfect berries.